Thursday, March 13, 2008

If you are going to have a baby... READ!

And not just that tripe of a book What To Expect blah-blah-blah. I mean Henci Goer's A Thinking Woman's guide To A Better Birth or her even more through work Obstetrical Myths Versus Research Realities. first off woman should expect and demand evidenced based care and second woman should be informed enough to know whether or not they are getting it. Now I'll admit I skimmed these books when I was pregnant, but I should have read them thoroughly. My home birth would have been much better if I had. I ended up with active management and non-evidenced based care. The worst part is I didn't even realize it. I could slap my midwives silly for the things they did. But it is also my fault for not being fully informed and not acting like the consumer. Instead I was a grateful and willing victim, being acted upon instead of taking the lead. You cannot put all of your trust in those whom you surround yourself with at your births. If you are going to trust anyone completely make it yourself.

No comments: