
I have been pondering on gratitude lately. In particular the many people who have shown me kindness over the years of my life. I may never get to thank them personally; this seems as good a place as any to publicly thank some of them.
When I worked at a museum in my mid-to-late teens, my coworkers were warm, funny and smart. I was still living with my parents, and my coworkers will never fully know what they meant to me. There were so many times they were kind, supportive and attentive in a way I had never experienced before in my life; I will always love them for that. Thank you for all you taught me and each and every kindness you showed me.
I would also love to thank the dressing-room angel. I was trying on clothes and was a very awkward-feeling teenager. I was bad-mouthing my figure when a lovely curvaceous woman stopped me and begged me to love myself. To accept and love my body. Not to waste the years she had in not in appreciating my body. The memory still brings tears to my eyes. I don't even know her name, but I will always love her.
Then there is one of the most amazing acts of charity I have ever experienced. I was waiting at a bus stop in the freezing cold and wet, and I didn't have my coat with me. A homeless man was also at the bus stop . He offered me the use of his coat while I waited there. Even though I was shivering, I refused. But he wouldn't take no for an answer. The coat was dirty and wet and wonderful. The little he had, he shared with me. I am still amazed by him to this very day.
All of these experiences took place before I was married. My husband is the the most Christlike person I have ever known personally. He has shown my too many kindness to list, especially while typing one handed (NAK). But I would like to publicly thank him too. He is an amazing man, whom I love with all my heart. Thank you, sweetheart, for all you've given me, taught me, and done for me.
And really, thank you anyone and everyone, for everything and anything you have ever done for me . I am grateful. You can never fully know how much even small kindnesses can mean to the receiver.



No comments:
Post a Comment