Saturday, December 27, 2008

Breastfeeders should not have to hide to protect your delicate sensibilities

Yes, this post is in reference to the Facebook headquarters and virtual nurse-in (if you are unfamiliar with the term nurse-in check this blogger's post), but it is also in reference to all who feel uncomfortable with nursing.

My mother was so uncomfortable with it she wasn't even OK with a woman in a bathroom fully covered by a king size blanket. Fortunately, my mother is not in my life and won't ever be in it again, barring some biblical-sized miracle. :) Ironically for her, I turned out to be quite the exhibitionist by comparison. I had semi-nude maternity photos taken, as a portrait photographer I have taken maternity and nursing portraits, and I nurse flagrantly and uncovered every where I go. I do all of these things because, in my own small way, I want to change the world.




Children should not eat in grody bathrooms, nor should they have to eat under blankets. Women should not feel uncomfortable nourishing their children, whenever or where ever or with their miraculous mother bodies. Shame on you if you think otherwise. Now, I respect the individual comfort of nursing mothers. I do not respect the twisted discomfort some people have with breastfeeding. Something is wrong with you if you see a child eating and think it's sexual or comparable to public urination/defecation.


Now, you may be wondering why nursing photos are so important. Because the US nursing rates are very low, which does put the health of mothers and babies at risk. One of the main reasons we have such nursing rates is because of how stigmatized it is here. A woman wearing a low-cut dress rarely causes a stir, but if you nurse your child in public, you just may be forcibly removed. People need to see breastfeeding. People need to understand that it is beautiful and normal. If we hide it things will never improve and they will probably only get worse. I want children to see me nurse, and I want women to also. I want my body, and your body, to stop being objectified as some pornographic thing.
For further perspective, please check out these excellent links:

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I love both of these pictures, but especially the top one. Thank you for trying to change the world; you certainly changed mine!