Thursday, December 18, 2008

Awesome Eggless French Toast

Say what?
That's right my friends I made my best french toast, without eggs, this week. I used ground flax seed. In case you don't know ground flax seed when mixed with water and heated makes a substance very much like eggs. I was out of eggs and I knew this fact and that many people use it as an egg substitute in baking. using the flax and water mixture, I added most of the usual other ingredients for french toast. (I confess I did add some things you would never expect) But it's worked beautifully. When I can figure out exact measurements I will post a recipe. Until then I firmly believe we should all add flax seed or ground flax seed to our emergency supplies. It can replace oil in baked good too. Just think with flour, salt, water, and flax, your baking possibilities are almost limitless. (Well you would also need sweetener, vanilla, a milky substance, cinnamon and cocoa.) But get all of those things and you could bake almost anything you might desire.
Neat, right?

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I love that you were able to do this! That is such a great idea!

The only thing with flax seed is that it quickly goes rancid and should be refrigerated as soon as you open the bag, which would make it difficult to put in the food storage.