Monday, December 15, 2008

I Think I Understand Now

So we've been to the Gingerbread Festival and the Festival of Trees. We put up decorations. We attended ward Christmas functions. We watched Christmas movies. But I realized a few days ago that I didn't feel "Christmasy". I wondered what was wrong with me. Was it ending things with my parents this year? Was it the almost utter lack of Christmas shopping? (We wanted a less present centric Christmas this year)
Then I realized we weren't hurried or worried this season. We haven't done Christmas cards. (Though I think we may have always skipped that) So far I've only bought a gift for Eve, though I do plan on buying more. We've spent a lot of time just the three of us. I started a story about Jesus's birth. I realized I felt peace and worship this season. Then on Saturday we had an impromptu "Christmas Party" with an other dear family. We watched Elf and ate delightful food. I felt very "Christmasy" on the way home afterwards. Then the Christmas program during church yesterday really reached me as none other ever has. So I think I finally understand now. The Christmas Spirit, come from The Holy Spirit. Feeling Christmasy comes from spending special time with those you love. It's taken my whole life to understand that. I truly believe that learning these things will make this my best Christmas ever. This year I am content and grateful, that should make all the difference.

1 comment:

Emily said...

We are also concentrating on having a more special, closer Christmas this year. We each bought each other one special present, and we haven't gone and bought a ton of decorations. It feels very warm and peaceful, full of the Spirit. We have always had a family-oriented Christmas, and I'm glad that the kids will grow up remembering memories of people instead of things.