Friday, January 2, 2009

New Years Journal Post


On the crisp and beautiful morning of January 1, 2003 I started a tradition. I had stayed up all night, outside, to see the dawn and before retiring I wrote a journal entry. This year, as a mom, sleeping sounded way better than staying up to see the dawn. I woke up in time to see a ribbon of purple and pink on the horizon, but then returned to our snugly family bed. I played with my daughter and watched movies all day with my sweetheart. I decided to let the tradition wait and enjoy the time with them. After enjoying the time with my spouse and daughter immensely I should really get back to writing this post, 2008 was an interesting year....


  • I was at a friend's unassisted birth, that was a life changing and breathtaking experience.

  • I was able to attend my first real doula birth. What an honor that was, Carrie is such an incredible and strong woman.

  • Eve had her first birthday.

  • Eve learned to walk, talk, and eat.

  • Eve has gotten more and more fun this year and very affectionate.

  • I ended things with my parents and brother once and for all, hooray!

  • We celebrated our 6th year of marriage with fun family getaways to Park City & Manti.

  • School is going great for Chris and he just landed a great local internship.

  • My doula studies are coming along nicely and I have two clients due this Winter.

  • The three of us shared an a amazing Halloween (Park City Haunted Inn), a sweet Thanksgiving, and a perfect Christmas.

  • Witnessed Change come to America with my friends and family.

  • We bought a new car. (We still need to take it on a road trip.)

  • One of the portraits I took has been in the media.

  • This has been a year of sweet friendships. From my birthday surprise party and playgroup to game nights, long talks, one fabulous New Years Eve. I am grateful to have so many amazing and good hearted people in my life.


My hopes and goals for the new year are:

  • Become very good at Balloon animals and hats.

  • Increase my Doula work.

  • Take a real vacation outside of Utah.

  • Make even more great friends.

  • See the good in others.

  • Food preservation.

  • Read the The Five Love Languages, The Soft-Spoken Parent, Legacy of the Heart.

  • Improve my scripture study habits.

  • Become more involved in good works in my community.

  • Be a more compassionate wife and a more patient mother.

  • Make my home more beautiful.

  • Increase my temple attendance.

  • Have greater love for those around me.
  • Become a certified doula.
  • Become better at forgiveness and learn how to let go.

  • By the end of 2009, feel like I've made a difference.

No comments: