I have had my own run in with this man and was saddened tonight to read of the accounts of many others.
I'll start with my story.
My Story:
I went to the capitol crazy early in the morning with my 10 month old last winter.
I was there to show I cared about an issue in committee. I sent in notes to let my Representatives know I had come. Bramble is one of them. I knew he could be rude and scary, so I said I didn't need to speak with him, I just wanted him to know that one of his constituents cared enough to come. well as I was leaving a Paige came and said he had done something very rare and had come out to speak with me. Feeling a little terrified I came near to where he was. He never left the door to the Senate chamber, he did not introduce himself. We were about 10 or fifteen feet apart. I told him I was sorry for bothering him and I hadn't asked for him to come out; thanks for his time - remember, terrified! I told him about the effects of the bill, and then some lobbyists stepped and interrupted our conversation, contradicting me. He said, "You re telling me this number, they're telling this number. What's that all about?" barking at me - you know, 15 feet apart. And I said that I didn't know where they were getting their numbers from. The lobbyists repeated their fallacious stance, and Bramble said, "YOU TWO NEED TO GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT. YOU TWO NEED TO TALK!" I said (in as gentle a manner as I could), "All right, thank you for your time, sir" and turned to go. But he said, "No! I said you two need to talk! You need to talk." Then he turned to go back into the session, and the lobbyists turned on me.
Wouldn't it be nice if I was the only one to have this kind of interaction?
But don't forget there was a reason I was afraid of him to begin with. Well I know of a certain bill and it's opponents who contacted their representative (Bramble). Enough people cared about this bill that he had many people contact him to let him know how his constituents felt. Guess what he did?................ He told them that if they contacted him again he would vote against their wishes to spite them.
Other people's stories:
http://cartoonbrickwall.blogspot.com/2008/08/my-run-in-with-majority-leader-in-utah.htmlIn the comments section on this blog post are more tales of this man. It took me forever to read through all the comments.
Use control and F to find, ICANCU, ejemory, Valley, Big Josh Stud, deb, Chelise, The Kay's, Scot, Johnnyboy84604. So many people have had sorry tales to tell of his behavor. I hope there is a wonderful side to him we are just largely unaware of, but he doesn't show it to his constituency or "the little people" he interacts with, which says to me he needs to be removed from office.
For some more interesting reading on this matter check out:
http://news.google.com/news?q=curt+bramble&rls=com.microsoft:*&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1&hl=en&sa=X&oi=news_group&resnum=11&ct=titlehttp://www.accountabilityutah.org/IssuesAlerts/News/2004/Bramble101004.pdf http://www.votesmart.org/bio.php?can_id=50308
To learn more about the alternative visit www.RaDene.com
Please note I don't want to trash on an individual who is a child of God. I just think His position should be filled by someone else. I'm sure he has value and has done good things in his life, most people have. But please we the citizens of Provo deserve better.
Thursday, October 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
I'd be interested to know what issue in committee and who the lobbyists were.
Also, if you haven't voted yet, today is the last day to vote early... I took Celeste and voted on Tuesday and had about a 40 minute wait, so you might want to think about about early to possibly save line time.
We voted yesterday. It felt so awesome! It was the homebirth midwife restictions bill. Jeanne W. was with me when it happened so I do have a witness. The Lobbyists were the Utah Medical Association. A large part of the money hospital need to run on is from birth. If women start thinking they can birth elsewhere......
I am struck by how few politicians really seem to believe that they are beholden to their constituents. Harry S. Truman really saw himself as a servant of the people - which meant he was lower than the people, not higher than the people.
Perhaps Bramble should take a hint from his forbears in government office - forbears like Washington and Madison. I think a lot of our politicians would be better public servants if they were to do so.
Post a Comment