Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Easy as pie?


Despite the saying ""easy as pie", I didn't use to find pie making easy. Until I found a tasty and flaky pie crust recipe in an old Better Homes and Gardens magazine.

If you love pie this recipe can be life changing. This recipe makes pie making so easy, I have at times made pies bi-weekly. We have even used it to make savory tarts by using olive oil and leaving out the sugar. Oh and do remember if it seems too dry, add more liquid. It should be putty like, not so dry it can't stick together.


No-Roll Pie Crust: In a bowl stir together 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. In a small bowl stir together 1/2 cup cooking oil and 1/3 cup milk; add all at once to flour mixture. Stir with fork until dough mixture comes together.


Pat half of the dough into the pie pan, fill, and pat the rest of the dough into rough circles or wedges to cover the top of the pie. Bake until golden brown at 375.


Having the crust be so easy has freed me up to be more creative with my pie fillings.

I have made:


  • Cinnamon honey rhubarb apple pie

  • Spiced pineapple peach pie

  • Fresh sugar pumpkin chunk and apple pie
  • Blueberry peach pie

Happy fall pie making season to you all!

1 comment:

Emily said...

That's funny, I've said the same thing many times: pie is not easy! Every year I make pumpkin pie from the innards of the pumpkins we carve for Halloween. I love making pastry!