Friday, October 10, 2008

Catching Wild Yeasties.


So when my friend Alisa started making her own bread starter, I thought it sounded too complicated and time consuming. But then I tasted her delicious bread... Well I did some research. I made a starter. I caught wild yeasties. Each region wild yeast has it's own unique flavor. I think Utah has quite tasty yeast. The best part is this is by far the easiest bread making ever. I also enjoy sharing the kneading process with my little one. Sure she isn't really kneading the bread, just pressing her hands in it, but it makes my heart happy. As an added bonus I have a legal pet now too. You feed it everyday and it makes you lovely bread. A very nice relationship indeed. Alisa named her Harry Potter, because "it's so magical". I named mine after some of my favorite female characters: Lucy Zuzu Alexandria. Lucy, from Chronicles of Narnia. Zuzu, from It's a Wonderful Life. Alexandria, from Alex and the Ironic Gentlemen.
If you read up on this it may sound complicated, but don't be fooled.

  • You make a batter out of equal parts flour and filtered water. (chlorine can kill your yeast)
  • Place it in a plastic or glass container, outside or by an open window.
  • Be sure to cover it with a cloth to keep out the bugs.
  • Feed it equal parts water and flour everyday.
  • When it's bubbly and noticeably grown, you have caught wild yeasties and can bake with it.
  • It should smell like yeast or wine, not poo or mold. (If it gets moldy toss it.)

When I make bread I just mix some starter with flour, then add salt and sweetener. I knead it for 10 minutes, let it rise, and then bake it. So easy, I love it.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080719212107AAKKMhq

http://alisaterry.blogspot.com/search/label/Bread

No comments: