Thursday, October 9, 2008

Let's Be Nice People

So I just watched the movie Crawford on Hulu. It was a good documentary, that I didn't find terribly one sided either. It just seemed like just the story of a town and how it was altered by a new neighbor. In case you know, the new neighbor was George W. Bush. My understanding is that he bought a ranch there shortly before his first presidential run. Since I have changed so much in the last 8 years, it was interesting to see the events unfold with my new eyes. I felt a new understanding for the people who lived in the town, the protesters of Bush's presidency and the fervent supporters of the war his presidency. Each side could and was rude,cruel and disrespectful. At time we get passionate and prideful on a matter feel the ends justify the means. They don't, being respectful and compassionate will always be the better part. No matter where you stand please take the time and effort to be truthful, kind, and empathetic. Individual issues will never matter more than that. Please let us be a people of love, irregardless of our fears for what the future may hold.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I may have said something similar to this before on your blog...but to me, the only truths that are 100% are gospel Truths. Everything else, including political issues, is not as important. Plus, regardless of who wins, we know what's going to happen at the end anyway. Yeah--it might be crappy in the mean time, but if ye are prepared, ye shall not fear. So, no matter who is in office for the next 4 years, we know that there will be an end at some point. So, yes, I agree--we should be nice to each other while discussing these things that, while they seem important right now, are not of the utmost importance in the eternal perspective.

mk said...

I found your blog!

And thank you for having us over for breakfast conference Saturday! It was fun!

Sea_Gal said...

It's true that all of this can be quite the devision from what really matters. I'll admit that I don't see truth beyond the gospel as being quite as fluid as it sounds like you do but, I think it easy to get things out of ballance and and not control my passions when it comes to such colflictiong topics. I do want to be a force for love and unity. Conversly I don't want to be apathetic to what goes on in the world. What goes on around us does matter, else why are we here? I doubt the great test of life is soley based in how often we attend the temple or read our scriptures. Still I have been reading a lot more political stuff of late than I have the Book of Mormon. I'm not sure where the balance lies, but I hope to find it. Thanks for your comment Amanda!