So today I was reading on a message board at imdb.com, and I came across a post to blog about. The author of said post felt that All holy books (including the Book of Mormon) were largely without merit and caused more harm than good. He felt that in generally we should do away with them and turn wholly to secular literature. At first I found the poster ignorant and repugnant, but then I felt great pitty. I felt sad that he/she had never experienced the power and beauty that said books have to offer. Also the idea that holy books cause harm and should be shunned, is so patently ridiculous. At the very least I see them as beautiful tools and handbooks. If you read a handbook and get a paper cut, is it a harmful book? Or think about a knife, knifes are useful tools. But you could hurt someone badly with a knife. With this persons line of thinking perhaps knifes are without merit too.
Powerful, beautiful, words from a loving Father in Heaven are not the root of the worlds ills. Just because people take something and use it too hurt people, doesn't make that thing harmful and without value. I am left shaking my head at this line of thinking. But I believe the real reason why this idea is so popular, is because of guilty consciences. If you can discredit holy writ, then there are no commandments to follow. Righteousness can be very fluid "idea". Effort for change or betterment needn't be taken. Growing and improving is at the very least uncomfortable and inconvenient. How carefully we are led away with vain imaginings and flaxen cords. But if everyone would read say the Book of Mormon with an open heart. This idea would have no foothold. Ignorance is sadly one of Lucifer's greatest weapons.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment