I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I know this church to be true and good. I know that every member has at some point in their membership made an inward commitment to be a certain type of person. We are suppose to be a Christ-like people. My heart aches today because tragically, many of us are not.
A dear friend has become the subject of an internet firestorm. Her blog and choices are being maligned all over the blog-o-sphere. The majority of the people attacking her know better, because they are supposed to be disciples of Christ. This concept is so fundamental in our gospel, I don't know how people miss it. (See Primary Songbook "Love One Another")
I think blogs should be for journaling and enlightenment. Why are they for tearing other people apart? We are children of God, and it is time we start acting like it. I think much would change if LDS and non-LDS lived with the goal of being kind. But admittedly, we don't know what others have been taught. I do know what Latter-Day Saints have been taught. How about, "Let us oft speak kind words," or, "If ye have done it unto one of the least of these?"
As a kid I couldn't understand why people could be so cruel to Jesus when he walked the earth. Sadly I understand now, because Latter-Day Saints are so cruel to others on an inexcusably frequent basis without shame or remorse.
To all within the sound of my blogging voice, let me urge you to be kind in your words and deeds. No, it is not your place to judge another. That is for God alone. I once heard Sheri Dew say that final judgement just might be a cake walk compared to what we put each other through.
To my fellow citizens on this planet, my brothers and sisters: kindness shouldn't be optional.
We are better than we live and treat each other, myself included; let's make a change today.



3 comments:
I also think that we can often times say things, (on blogs or in real life), that we might not think is offensive, but because of circumstances which we aren't aware of in the other person's life, they end up taking it differently than it was meant. While we are all entitled to our opinions, bashing or belittling someone is not the best option for expressing them. Sometimes, we just have to accept that other people think differently than we do--and they alone are responsible for the choices and consequences that will come from their opinions. This is really a thought-provoking post. Thanks!
People are good at being high and mighty, no matter what the religion.
Some people never mature past 12.
Thanks Jillyn - you are so right. It got to nasty. Well, you can probably access my blog now through my comment. Talk to you later and I hope today is going well with Kerri.- Sarah Parente
Post a Comment