Monday, August 4, 2008

Things I have breastfed.....


My friend is doing a great series on breastfeeding on her blog in honor of it.
In honor of it, I thought I would do a light hearted piece on the things my daughter has wanted me to breastfeed. When you read this keep in mind I am an not embarrassed or appalled by this. I think it's sweet and at times down right hilarious.
One day she brought me her much beloved doll and I think requested that I breastfeed said doll. Now if she wasn't actually making this request, then I'm the one who started what follows.
I have had put to my nipple by my daughter:
  • The fairy figurine pictured above.
  • A stuffed rabbit.
  • a crocheted banana.
  • A wood carved elephant on wheels
  • A baby shower invitation.
  • Basically any toy, stuffed animal, doll or object that she holds dear.

Yesterday I knew I needed to blog about this when I was sitting with here in the foyer at church. And when I offered her my breast, she put her plastic little people turkey to my nipple instead of her mouth. Which then elicited me to say: "I will nurse you, but I will not nurse your turkey at church". Funny how you hear yourself saying things you never imagined as a mother. Also at one point in my life I didn't want to nurse, it scared me. But I will tell you right now. I love it. Breastfeeding is wonderful, funny, sweet, bonding, healthy, and beautiful. Hooray for World Breastfeeding Week!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Love the story! LOL! I can't wait to nurse the next one--whenever that happens--and hope it works as well (and for as long) as it did with Kallie.

TopHat said...

Next time it happens at church, explain that we feed birds rye, not breastmilk (D&C 89:17). It's doctrine! :)