Friday, June 27, 2008

They grow up so fast....


Today our sweet girl lost her first tooth. She tripped, hit the window sill, and lost her first tooth. DH was the first responder. Much tears and blood followed. Thank goodness she still nurses! DH found the tooth, it came out roots and all. I'm so grateful he was here for this. Just so everyone knows, baby teeth are not put back in infants. The tooth is just examined for missing pieces. There nothing that can be done, but wait for the years to pass until her adult tooth comes in. (And visit a dentist for any residual problems)

As soon as she was back to her cheerful self, I thought about the grief and shallowness that would ensue over this. This has been a VERY bad day. Aside from something life threatening, today meant facing one of my biggest fears as a mother. Despite my best efforts, she crashes a lot. In some ways it seems like a matter of time until we had some kind of calamity. So please dear readers, empathy and sharing of first hand experiences is fine. But please try to say nothing to add to my stomach-lurching heartache. It's been a rough day, but since someone I know has a 2 year old with leukemia I'm trying keep this in perspective.


P.S. Click on the picture to check out more works by Jenedy Paige.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

I haven't had to deal with that same thing. And, I hope this comment doesn't turn out to be shallow--because that's not how I mean it at all.

I remember about a year ago when Kallie threw herself on the hall floor and ripped her frenulum, (the piece of skin that holds your top lip to your top gums). It didn't make my child any less beautiful, but because it didn't hold her top lip down anymore, this accident certainly changed the beautiful smile I'd had fallen in love with. I cried about that! I was grateful to find out the next day, (at the emergency room--for nursemaid elbow--that was QUITE the weekend), that the same thing had happened to another kid, (who was now in high school), and that it grows back. This was such a comfort to me at the time! While the frenulum has grown back most of the way, her smile still isn't the same one as before. But, she is still my beautiful daughter with a smile that is still all her own.

I hope that your little one continues to heal from her accident and that you will continue to be comforted in the "aftermath" (for lack of a better word).

Carrie said...

Awwww...I am sorry for dear, sweet Eve! That must have been tough for her, and for you. I am glad that she is still nursing, too, because nursing makes everything better.

I was so happy to see you today; thanks for sitting next to me. You make me feel special. :)

JaNae said...

It's so great to hear from you! That is fabulous that you are becoming a doula and Chris is working on an IT degree! Congrats on your daughter. I gather she is a year old now? Our daughter is 4 months old now, and I can't believe how fast the time has gone!
I was sad to read about your daughter's tooth. I can only imagine how hard it must be to see your child experience pain like that. I nearly cry every time our daughter gets her immunizations.
Glad to hear you are doing well. Keep in touch!

JaNae said...

Oh, I also wanted to share our family blog: www.bradyandjanae.blogspot.com

Aubrey said...

I'm sorry about your little one.

She is still adorable and it was so fun letting her and Celeste play together in Sunday School. I've missed seeing you in RS.