Monday, May 5, 2008

What Is a Doula?


So I realized today I had yet to make a post about doulas, which seemed rather remiss of me since I am one. I started my training as a doula in September 2007 with Childbirth International. Doula (doo-luh) is from the Greek word that means with woman. The word doula also makes reference to a female servant that would attend to a woman's needs during labor. As doulas we really become whatever a woman wants or needs us to be during labor. We are also known as Trained Labor Assistants, we do not replace physicians or midwives. We provide emotional and informational support during pregnancy. When labor comes we are there for a woman's entire labor and delivery, there with information, support, massage, love, understanding, experience, faith, tools, tips, tricks, affirmations, a hand to hold, and hope. Doulas statistically improve outcomes for both moms and babies. Doulas also provide support postpartum, helping with processing the birth experience, adjusting to life with a baby, and breastfeeding.
But really since what we do and provide is so fluid depending on the parents desires and needs I find doula work very difficult to describe. Doulas attend every kind of birth from an unassisted birth to a Cesarean birth. Our job is to help mothers and fathers have a births they can be happy about. For anyone pregnant who reads my blog (or not) I would be happy to be your doula if we are the right fit, or help you find a doula that is. A doula makes a remarkable and proven difference in the life experience of giving life.

For more information check out these links:
http://www.findadoula.com/Parents/aboutdoulas.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doula
http://www.childbirthinternational.com/
http://www.americanpregnancy.org/labornbirth/havingadoula.html
http://doulanetwork.com/

No comments: