Friday, February 15, 2008

Incompetent Cervix

So I came across this phrase today in my studies and not fully understanding it, I did research.Now I'm mad! From what I understand this is a condition almost entirely attributable to the medical establishment. Basically it means that the cervix can't stay closed long enough to keep the baby in for the duration of pregnancy, generally resulting in miscarriage. It can be caused by injuries from previous deliveries, cervical surgery, or a previous D&C (dilation and curettage, or scraping of the tissue inside the uterus), several pregnancies terminated, or your mother took the drug DES while she was pregnant with you. (Caregivers used to prescribe this drug to prevent miscarriage, but stopped in the early 1970s when studies showed that it was both ineffective and caused reproductive tract abnormalities in developing babies.) . Now of course some doctors say your just deficient for no reason, but I find that a rather convenient reason for them to use. Their solution is to sew the cervix closed. Which has a host of dangers on it's own. This is just so outrages. Women deserve so much better than this.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I'm actually really interested to hear more of your opinions on this subject. The son of a guy I worked with a few years ago was born way too early because of incompetent cervix. The next baby was miscarried a bit earlier because of the same thing. I didn't think there was much they could do about it beyond circlage. Because of that, I want to know what other methods are available and what you think about them!